Fire breaks out at Chandigarh’s PGI; leads to panic among patients

173

Chandigarh, January 27: A fire on the top floor of Chandigarh’s PGIMER in the wee hours of Monday triggered panic as patients were asked to evacuate the floor. 

The fire broke out around 6 am in a kitchen next to the the doctors’ canteen in the D block of Nehru building. The top floor has surgical wards, 20 private rooms, a pantry and  an operation theatre. 

A short circuit is believed to have caused the fire. The fire was brought under control immediately and no one was hurt. 

It was a nightmare for the patients and people attending to them after they were asked to evacuate.